Blog #4 – EDCI 335 Interactivity

The video I chose to use is accessible using this link:
https://youtu.be/u8SsE_QPKlM

What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

This appears a passive resource, with learners watching and taking in information. Every learner is different, and will react to content in their own way (Nelson, 2013). Although this resource doesn’t require any interaction, it is possible that they might be reflecting on their misconceptions, asking themselves questions, or thinking about how this could work in their own classroom or affect their own students.

In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g., make notes, do an activity, or think about the topic (learner-generated)?

If I were watching this as a learner, I would likely take notes. I find it useful when watching videos, as you can pause them and take screenshots to help you remember things. There is a question posed at the end “How will you get more active today?”, which could encourage some self-reflection on the part of the learner.
It is important that the reason for watching the video is made clear before learners do so. If they know they are watching it, and how it contributes to their learning outcomes, they are more likely to do so in a focused way (Nelson, 2013). They might think about using this resource with their own classes.

What activity could you suggest that they do after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

This resource could be used to help learners with the first learning outcome in our resource:

“Identify key positive benefits of movement and physical activity on children’s learning.”

To gain knowledge, we could ask learners to:
– Write what they have learned from the video after an open-ended prompt such as “What have you learned?” Or “How does this relate to your class?”, for learners to answer after watching the video. This would allow them to openly choose their response, and focus on parts that are meaningful to them.
– Complete a quiz based on the information in the video.
– Ask learners to summarize the main points from watching the video. This would help to focus their attention to the acquisition of knowledge, which is the main part of this learning outcome.

How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

Open-ended prompt – Responses could be shared via a google document or on a blog post so that other learners can see and comment on this. Sharing ideas via a peer review/comment might help to make the learning more relevant, and they could learn from others or see something that they hadn’t considered. This would contribute to a constructivist learning design and create community (Anderson, 2003).

Quiz – could be marked with automatic and instant, computer generated feedback. This could be directly sent to the instructor and it is possible that until they reach a certain score the learning doesn’t move on. However, this is based on behaviourist theories of learning (Bates, 2019) which wasn’t the original design of our resource.

Summary – This could be marked by the instructor, using a rubric as part of an assessment. The rubric could be given out first so learners know what is expected of them and how to be successful. For example, to show they have achieved the outcome they have to explain in detail, using clear examples, how physical activity can promote learning in the classroom. Feedback can be given from the instructor in a written format referring to the rubric.

How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

Open-ended prompt – This would need to be overseen by the instructor, and could contribute towards a final summative score. Feedback would mainly be peer given and driven, but the instructor would need to ensure that this is equitable.

Quiz – Very little work for the instructor, can easily be scaled up, might not have as much value as the other activities in terms of learning and higher level thinking (Bates, 2019).

Summary – This activity would be more individual, although it could be shared and peer-assessed if done on a blog or shared document. If individually handed in, and used for assessment, this could pose the most time consuming for the instructor and would not be easily scaled up. However, learners do place more value on a teacher interaction, so this could be a motivating opportunity and lead to them putting more thought into the task (Anderson, 2003). Time management would also be a factor, as feedback would need to be given soon it was handed in.

How could the video have been designed to generate more or better activity from viewers or students?

The video is clear and not too long, which means that it kept my attention for the duration. The message is easy to follow, however, there are no captions and it might be better to have more detail for adults who are watching this. I feel like this could be a good introductory video, with further information for the learners to access before an activity or assessment task. There is one reflective question, perhaps more during the video would encourage some deeper thinking from the viewers.

How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in the use of this video to ensure an inclusive design?

I would ensure that there are clear instructions for turning on the sub-titles so that those who are hard of hearing would be able to access the resource. I would also give the option to read the transcript instead of watching the video, as the bright colours and music could provide some people with sensory distress. The video is accessible on YouTube, so the internet is needed (although the design of the course is online, so it is fair to assume that most of the learners would have an internet connection).

Anderson, T. (2003). Getting the mix right again: An updated and theoretical rationale for interaction. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 4(2), 1–14.

Bates, A.W. (2019). Teaching in a Digital Age – Second Edition. Vancouver, B.C.: Tony Bates Associates Ltd. Retrieved from https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/

Nelson, L. L. (2013) . Design and Deliver : Planning and Teaching Using Universal Design for Learning, Brookes Publishing, ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=1787427

1. abbyashfield

Hi Sophie,

Excellent blog post!

I really liked the YouTube video. I found it very informative and appropriate for our resource. It was like you mentioned, easy to follow along. The clear pictures and voices made it engaging and captured my attention. I know this video would fall more so under the lesson of the health benefits of physical activity within our resource, but do you know if this is one we are using? If not, we totally should! I liked how it ended with an open question as well, “how will you get more active today?” leaving viewers with something to think about. I also liked how you mentioned making the reason for watching the video clear for learners upon watching it, as I feel like this is important and something I often forget. Additionally, appreciated how you mentioned providing learners with clear instructions of how to turn subtitles on. I had never thought about giving instructions for this, as I had never run into issues with turning them on, but for some this may not be so easy.

Thanks for sharing!

• leaf975

No problem Abby, glad you found it interesting.

It might be good to include a guide to assistive technologies in our learning resource (e.g. how to do speech to text on a google document, put on subtitles etc) and I’m fairly sure that UVic does have one, so we should probably look into this!

I like how we both have reflection as a key part of our blog this week, it seems that changing teacher practice relies on this within the professional development given. In my experience, if I couldn’t relate something to my own teaching, or the real value of it wasn’t explained to me, then it was harder for me to really engage with the learning and make changes to my practice.

2. XinyiFeng

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing the excellent video and interesting list of activities! The video was indeed concise and captivating. It caught my attention from the beginning to the end by delivering meaningful and thought-provoking content without being boring at any point. It made me understand better why exercise is essential in boosting learning and cognitive abilities.
    On top of that, your learning activities are rich in scope and depth; they have open-ended questions, quizzes and summaries, which appear pretty comprehensive. However, I have a concern: considering their variety and complexity, do you think these tasks probably a bit overwhelm learners and instructors? Explicitly speaking, open-ended questions and summaries require more thinking, writing, peer feedback, and interaction with the instructor. How do you manage the timing and workload to keep them manageable?
    Overall, you did an excellent job combining theoretical support with practical advice to improve educational outcomes effectively. Thank you for sharing your post.

• leaf975

Hi,
      Thanks for you comments, I hear your concern and just want to let you know that I was not aiming to propose that all of the activities would be done! I just wanted to explore more ideas than one as a response to the video, thinking about different approaches and linking it to educational theory.
      I do disagree that open-ended questions overwhelm a learner. The whole point of my group’s resource is to change attitudes and the practice of teachers. To do this, I believe reflection and linking it to their own context is vital. I’m not suggesting that the whole resource be like this, but for this type of learning, I believe that integration of open discussion and interaction would be beneficial.

I’m interested in your concern about workload, as this would surely depend entirely on the purpose of the resource and the attitudes of the instructor. As I noted, it would be hard to scale this up to having a high number of students, but should all online learning be like that? Having a smaller class size makes the instructor’s work manageable in this situation and allows for more personalized learning (which, as a teacher who has done a lot of PD in my time, made the learning having much more impact for me).

3. emmaw

Hi Sophie!
    I really liked this blog post, I thought your video was great and enjoyed how although it encouraged passive watching it also included reflective questions at the end to act as a prompt for the student. I also found your comment on how this video could be made more inclusive was valuable. I agree with your point on sensory issues and how these may be an issue with relation to certain YouTube videos. I also think that adding captions, detailed instructions and alternative formats could be very helpful for students with disabilities. I am wondering how you would ensure that the feedback students receive on their post-video activities is both timely and constructive?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    -Emma

• leaf975

Hi Emma,
      In this blog I was more exploring different ideas, rather than suggesting all were completed! As a learner I wouldn’t want to do 3 activities based on this video, but I found in thought provoking for myself to think about different scenarios.
      In terms of timely feedback, I think this is why a clear assessment plan is important, so that instructor feedback is appropriately spread out over the course of learning and feedback can be given when appropriate. I believe that for a resource such as ours (based at changing teacher lesson planning and practice), personalized feedback is important to encourage discussion around context and attitudes. Using rubrics, having a considered number of students attending the class, and giving word limits are some ways that might make such feedback more manageable for an instructor.

4. temilola

Hi Sophie,

I enjoyed watching the video you shared. It was short, interesting, and very informative. I especially liked how it ended with an open question, “how will you get more active today?” This makes viewers think about how they’re going to apply what they’ve learned.

I’ve always known exercise was good for you, but I never realized it could have such a great effect on one’s memory. Maybe that’s because I’ve never been particular about exercising. As a student, this video was a great way to get me thinking about the connection between physical exercise and improved memory. I’ll be starting some physical exercise after realizing it boosts memory. As you stated, this video would be a great introduction to the topic.

5. gvanhorne

Hello! Thanks for you and your groups feedback on our learning resource. I thought I would check out your blog to satisfy my curiosity and it’s clear you’re putting a lot of thought into your course work! I especially appreciate in your post here that you’ve given careful consideration toward the diverse modes of attention that learners are able to provide toward resources. Do you think any of your resources could be challenging for those with selective attention similar to the video we watched as part of our course work?
    Cheers

• leaf975

Hello,
      Sure, there are always going to be differences with how learners interact and feel about the resources being used in a course (Nelson, 2013). I think, from my readings, that the best we can do as course designers is to give thought to it and try out best to mitigate, providing a range of resources that can be accessed and used. In our resource we did try to do this, using a range of videos, readings, and books/articles, including audio when we could to try to help with this.
      Thank you for your question!